Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Article Response

It is easy for some designers to be disconnected from the people that they are supposedly designing for. This can be seen when looking at some of the communities that we have discussed this week. These designers seem to be offering only the necessities in some homes while offering luxury and what can induce too much social privacy in others. It’s strange to think that some communities that have common meeting places for people fail at fostering social interaction among the inhabitants. I grew up and still live in a small neighborhood where we do not have the luxury of a common pool, rec center, or basketball courts. But somehow we all know each other and help one another when we are in a bind.

Maybe some of these communities fail because people may not stay long term. Maybe my community flourishes because everyone, especially my direct neighbors, were living in the neighborhood since my brother was a toddler and I wasn’t even born. Maybe it’s the demographic of people that allows community to flourish. The culture in which we are raised could in fact contribute to how we interact with others as a whole. Some people who live in a fast paced world may not take the time to realize who is around them while others, like in my community, are the good ol’ country folk that welcome anyone into their homes and social networks.

I had never thought about how a sense of community should be incorporated into design until the past few weeks. It really opens my eyes to a new way and a new reason to design.

No comments: