Sunday, October 12, 2008

Dialogue Stage I


The addition of dialogue to the unity project eased my worry that I would not be able to come up with a decent concept because I then had a better idea as to where I needed to take the design. My materials were again limited to 12 bamboo skewers, 12 index cards, and a rubber glue like bonding agent. I knew at this point that I wanted to try something different and make an attempt at bending my skewers. I spent a few night playing with skewers and a steamer while i tried to vary the curvature of the skewer. When I mentioned to my father that I needed a way to hold the skewers in place while they set to a drastic bend he mentioned that I could place them inside a coffee can. That was the technique that I used to bend the skewers in my first "draft" of the dialogue project.

After steaming and bending over 20 skewers in the coffee can I began messing with them to see what kind of dialogue I could create with them. The point was to create dialogue between two spaces within the one design and I found it quite difficult to create only two spaces with the skewers being so dramatically bent. I finally came upon the design above knowing that it did have more that two spaces but it was a start and critiques from my peers would help to move the process further along.

No comments: